Just a disclaimer that the development logs for Barrels, in particular, will also include changes to the gamemode and the server, as Barrels (the gamemode) is actively developed by myself. This will be a long one.
Yes this is just for the gamemode.
- Essentially rewrote the entire Suicide Barrels gamemode from scratch. The original scoreboard and some hooks were carried over from ptown2's original gamemode. The round system, loadout system, and weapons were remade entirely.
- Entirely optimized. Barrels is under half the size of the original gamemode.
- Added new F1 menu, this menu contains information on how to play the gamemode, as well as some tips and tricks.
- Added new settings tab. This allows the player to graphically change the gamemode's ConVars intuitively.
- Player halos. Barrels and spectators can now see halos around all alive players. The halos are color-coded to match the team of the player. Halos will get less accurate with distance but should point barrels in the correct direction.
- Player halos may be intensive for lower-end systems, so a setting was added to the F1 menu to turn these off.
- Spectator-Only Mode. Players can now spectate the game instead of being forced into either barrels or survivors.
- This setting may be toggled through the F1 menu as well. This will affect the next round.
- Staff now have access to a ULX command that will force players in and out of spectator mode.
New Gameplay Mechanics
- Better win detection system. The win detection system now takes into account who is currently playing in the game. If a player leaves, the game will end automatically if a win condition is met. No more waiting for the round to end.
- New custom explosion damage system. When you shoot a barrel, the gamemode uses a new damage system that more fairly damages the survivors. No more instant deaths when you shoot a barrel 10 feet away from you.
- Ray-tracing. You can now take cover from explosions and take less damage. Explosions will only affect people with line-of-sight.
- Anti-camping system. Tired of survivors sitting in the corner of the map and picking barrels off from a distance? Well, survivors must now move around, or they will take damage. All survivors have to do to prevent taking damage is to walk around a bit.
- "Shimmy detection". Anti-camping system takes into account delta distance traveled, rather than distance traveled. Unlike a pedometer, you cannot trick the anti-camping system by walking in circles.
- Better chat-based notification system so that you can screenshot your best plays.
- Player name tags so you know who is who. Barrels can see each other's name tags, as well as the survivors' name tags.
- Added a map vote hook integrated directly into the gamemode, with a counter to show how many rounds are left on a given map.
- Taunts are improved.
- New explosion sound effect, with ignition to let you know a barrel is invincible.
- Barrels now slow down when they engage their detonator.
- Barrels now move slightly faster than survivors by default, which incentivizes fighting them off rather than juking them out.
- New custom maps for players to enjoy, as well as the default map roster from the original gamemode.
- Tweaked barrel explosions to make them less punishing.
- Changed gamemode name and icon to differentiate from the original gamemode.
- Made fall damage less punishing. You no longer take damage when falling short distances.
- Made kills and deaths tracking more logical.
- Added unstuck so players can abuse the map more efficiently.
- Added new chatbox and voice chat indicator (from Vanilla PropHunt)
- Added Edge Scoreboard, and new integrations to allow it to work with the barrels gamemode.